[Ti] Re: like hell freezing over ?

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Fri Jun 10 00:37:31 PDT 2005

Chris Olson wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2005, at 10:54 PM, Mike Bigley wrote:
>
>> As proved with Apple's "small" market share, IBM cannot come close to
>> competing with Intel in the Home computing market.
>

> Say what?  The developed markets are basically saturated.  Never
> underestimate the power of a huge corporation with quarterly earnings
> of $22-25 billion - larger than Microsoft, Apple, and Intel combined.
> Consider some things:
>
> OK

> IBM is heading for a showdown with Wintel.  It's for all the marbles.
> The emerging markets are where it's going to happen.  And they're
> going to use China to do it.  The US and European markets are small
> cheese.  It's revenge as nobody ever imagined possible.

So, Chris...

According to this, IBM does NOT want to cooperate with Apple, and
actually wants Apple to compete head to head with Windows on the Intel
"turf" and while this "mutual wearing out is ocurring, IBM will get
China to use Linux in ever increasing #s which will run on IBM's CPU?

Let's say you're right, that this is the pattern and that this is where
we're headed. I would say that under YOUR own scenario - Apple had no
choice, right? So what's with all the complaints about moving to a
cooperation with Intel? Unless you're directing them at IBM...

And if the "US and European markets are small cheese", then IBM is now
what? A Chinese company? Selling 970 FX CPUs to a hungry world at $7000
a computer and squashing all its competitors?

Amazing

HHK