[Ti] Intel buys Apple...

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 11:29:39 PDT 2005

Earlier I had predicted that Apple seems to be positioning itself as
a takeover target, so that Steve Jobs can strengthen his position as
a Media mogul. Well, someone obviously agrees.

This from Robert X. Cringely: (paraphrased and condensed by Macintouch).

The latest Cringely column - Going for Broke - is a must-read,
whether you believe it or not:

Intel is fed up with Microsoft. Microsoft has no innovation that
drives what Intel must have, which is a use for more processing
power. And when they did have one with the Xbox, they went elsewhere.
   So Intel buys Apple and works with their OEMs to get products out
in the market. The OEMs would love to be able to offer a higher
margin product with better reliability than Microsoft. Intel/Apple
enters the market just as Microsoft announces yet another delay in
their next generation OS. By the way, the new Apple OS for the Intel
Architecture has a compatibility mode with Windows (I'm just guessing
on this one).
   This scenario works well for everyone except Microsoft. If Intel
was able to own the Mac OS and make it available to all the OEMs, it
could break the back of Microsoft. And if they tuned the OS to take
advantage of unique features that only Intel had, they would put AMD
back in the box, too. Apple could return Intel to its traditional
role of being where all the value was in the PC world. And Apple/
Intel could easily extend this to the consumer electronics world. How
much would it cost Intel to buy Apple? Not much. And if they paid in
stock it would cost nothing at all since investors would drive shares
through the roof on a huge swell of user enthusiasm.
   That's the story as I see it unfolding. Steve Jobs finally beats
Bill Gates. And with the sale of Apple to Intel, Steve accepts the
position of CEO of the Pixar/Disney/Sony Media Company.

jg