[Ti] A real world comparison

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Jun 12 07:55:57 PDT 2005

On Jun 12, 2005, at 5:20 AM, Richard Meyeroff wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone has made an in depth evaluation of the
> difference between SSE3 & the Altivec implimentations in the G4+ and
> the 970?
>
> This to me appears to be where Intel falls short.  They appear to do
> better in Interger computation, the reason that Mathematica did so
> well, but fall short by a wide margin in the vector, the strength of
> the PPC platform.

That's exactly what I'm trying to determine.  I'm going to use some
PowerPC vectorized benchmark code ported to x86 to determine the
viability of the x86 platform for our own use.  I haven't paid too much
attention to the x86 branch of Darwin because I always figured it was
insignificant.  Now I have to play catchup just to get it current :-(

BTW - I successfully booted 8.0.1 (x86 Tiger core) on an AMD Athlon
2600 with an Asus A7N8X just to see if it would.  It did.
--
Chris