[Ti] Need cool air vs. heat Advice

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:53:30 PDT 2005

Jeff Porten wrote:

>It sounds to me like you're looking for an excuse to buy an A/C.  If
>not, here are some cheaper options:
>
>1) first, get Temperature Monitor
><http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html> and get an
>actual CPU temperature.  Compare with rated operating temperatures
>for those machines (note: *not* ambient temperatures).  That tells
>you if you're running too hot.
>
>2) best way to cool off the laptops cheaply is with a fan that
>exhausts hot air away from them.  Note: this will warm up the rest
>of the room (and you).
>
>3) if they're still running too hot, then go to Energy Saver and
>slow down the CPU and other components.  Energy saved is energy not
>converted to heat.
>
>Best,
>Jeff

Well, I wonder about that. i worked on California Ave next door to HP
in the mid-seventies, and the rooms (with all the 360s and whatnot)
were cold, same everywhere i've been.

There's aso my dogs, they're aging, and it kills me to see them
panting. i've got the warmest room in the place, and two of the
little dogs basically idolize me (you know, the way dogs do, for
little apparent reason) so they keep coming in ad out of the room.

... so it isn't just me.

I grew up in SF (anybody out there know what I'm referring to when I
say if you take a walk up a sunny street, and turn up onto a shady
street, the temperature change can straighten you right out, in the
summertime? <laughs>)

This software, the temperature monitor, marcel bresink... i just
boght something of his the other day... he's the Tinkertool System
guy, no? That's a nice utility, by the way. none of that cheesy, grab
a few Mach-O exes, wrap em in AppleScript, and call it a Native
program bs... hee's doing real system calls and stuff...nice.

I had thought that the temp sensors were only in the towers... i'll
check it out. Thanks.

brian s