[Ti] Need cool air vs. heat Advice

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 14 23:25:44 PDT 2005

An easy way to tell is to use ThermographX, which can show you the
temperature ranges for other people's computers alongside your own.
http://www.kezer.net/thermographx.html

However, without consulting that program, I'd say that your
temperatures are probably in the high end of the normal temperature
range.  Most chips can withstand a temperature of about 125°C (that's
the internal, or junction temperature), though CPUs tend to have a
slightly lower maximum temperature, around 105°C.  Unfortunately,
there's no easy way to find out how this corresponds to temperatures
measured by the OS, which are often thermal sensors attached outside
the chip, so they will read less than the junction temperature.
Also, keep in mind that the sensors used are generally very imprecise
- some of them have a range of accuracy of as much as +-12°C (22°F).

In general, the computer should reduce the CPU speed itself and
eventually go to sleep if it thinks it is getting too hot.
Generally, this means a hardware malfunction - under normal
conditions, the fans can easily keep the machine within normal
temperatures, even if the case feels quite hot to you.  Remember, the
case feeling hot is really a *good* thing in some sense - it means
that all the heat you can feel is being carried *away* from the
processor.