[Ti] IChat Suggestions? - And wireless router for iChat?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 27 22:55:46 PDT 2005

Rod Duncan <roduncan at telus.net> writes:
> A long distance friend and I are planning to iChat AV using our
> respective portables with a high-speed wireless internet connection.
> She has a G4 iBook and I have a AI Powerbook. She is running 10.4 and
> I am running 10.3.9. We are both going to buy iSight camera's to
> facilitate. (Feedback on the Griffin SightLight?)

I'm not a big fan of the SightLight.  It does increase the lighting
available, but not by very much.  Also, you end up with a really
bright light shining directly in your eyes.  Unfortunately, these are
competing problems - if the brightness were increased, it would be
even more uncomfortable for your eyes.  You're much better off, IMO,
by just being in a very well-lit room.  The diffuse lighting
reflecting off all the surfaces in the room will light you better and
won't hurt your eyes.

> Couple of questions:
> Do I need to upgrade to Tiger to take advantage of the latest iChat?

Not to the best of my knowledge.  However, it does add the ability to
video or audio chat with more than one other person at a time.

> Do we need .mac accounts or can we iChat AV without? Prefer something
> free and not AOL.

There are 4 ways to connect to people: Rendezvous (generally requires
that you're on the same LAN), AIM (requires a free account), .Mac
(requires you to set up a .Mac account - a trial account is fine, and
you can still log on to AIM after the trial account expires), and
Jabber (also requires a free account, but there aren't nearly as many
people with this service as the free AIM network).  Personally, I'd
recommend either the .Mac trial account or the AIM account.  Both are
free, and use the same massive network.  Once you have the screen
name set up, there is no difference in capabilities between logging
in with a .Mac or an AIM account.

> I am using an old MacSense router and Airport (both 1st Generation).
> I purchased her a "on sale" wireless router from TRENDnet (model
> TEW-431BRP) Bought myself one, too - as it was so cheap. $25 after
> rebates. I know Apple has a list of approved routers with the proviso
> that others may work. Anyone using this wireless router iChatting?
> Suggestions to use iChat with routers, settings, URL links etc. much
> appreciated.

I've used a Linksys WRT54G and a 2nd generation Airport.  I've had
occasional troubles connecting with a video or audio chat - usually
when both ends have some complex network setup (like NAT, which is
common in many homes).  I'm not sure if it's any better in Tiger
since I haven't had the opportunity to use my iSight much.  It seems
to me like there's just a little bit of voodoo in the connection
occasionally.