[Ti] 1Ghz Titanium Ram

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 1 16:35:44 PST 2005

I bet it would work, but I'd never subject my wonderful Mac to the
awful RAM that comes out of those two companies.  In all fairness, I
have no direct experience with MemoryX, but I can tell you that
1-800-4-Memory will sell you the worst memory that exists on the
market.  While it's possible you'd have no problems, I have seen so
many computers end up with hard drives that are nearly unreadable
because the user put in el-cheapo memory, which over time causes data
corruption in their documents and in the directory structure...  Until
one day, the corruption is so bad that the computer can't boot any
more.

Unfortunately, there is no way to definitively test memory.  Even the
manufacturer can't fully test a memory chip once it has been packaged -
true testing has to be done on the bare silicon.  A hardware memory
tester (a small device that serves no purpose other than testing RAM,
and costs several thousand dollars) can catch much defective memory.  A
"hardware test" that runs in software, such as Apple Hardware Test or
TechTool Pro, will catch only the most egregiously failing memory; I'd
estimate around 5% of actual bad RAM.

So, in my professional opinion, it's better to stick to manufacturers
with a better reputation.  Micron and Samsung are among the best
component manufacturers.  Most of what Crucial sells is Micron (since
it is actually a division of Micron).  Samsung is available, but I'm
not sure from who - and even then, you might get a poorly designed PCB,
even though the memory chips themselves are high quality.  Identifying
the very worst of RAM chips is easy - they often are lacking either a
manufacturer name or a part number printed on each chip.  A few other
manufacturers are somewhere in between great and awful - Hynix, for
example, at least in my experience.

Soooo...  Moral of the story: just because you *can* doesn't mean you
*should.*  Wait until some more reputable manufacturers make 1 GB
SO-DIMMs.  And never buy RAM from the place that's selling it for the
least dough!