[Ti] Backing up using ip over firewire.

Robert Nicholson robert at elastica.com
Fri Mar 4 10:26:45 PST 2005

So,

I've got an external hard drive with two firewire ports that I use for
backups but I want to backup my other powerbook over a network
connection. I was thinking that ip over firewire would be the fastest
way to connect these two machines.

The delimna I have is that on the AiBook I have a firewire 400 port and
a firewire 800 port and on the Tibook I have a firewire 400 port. The
external enclosure allows me to daisy chain firewire ports so perhaps I
could plug in the other computer to that second port but I'm worried
about doing that and I'm wondering if it's better to use the firewire
800 port as a second firewire 400 port from the computer.

Presumably Apple make a cable that allows you to use the firewire 800
port with a firewire 400 device.

I don't need a firewire hub as I have no other firewire devices.