[Ti] New PowerBook Decisions

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 5 15:49:38 PST 2005

Like Paul, I am also a developer (as well as an engineering student).
Whenever I'm at home, I have a 17" CRT attached to my 17" PowerBook to
get more screen space.  The CRT isn't good enough for me to do much
work with text, but it's good for iChat and iTunes and getting other
little things like that off of my main display so I can do work there.
That said, my next computer will be a PowerMac, because I need more
screen space than the built-in 17" display can give me.  I don't often
need that much space when I'm on the road though (and I'd rather have
lots of battery life), so I'll buy a cheap 12" iBook to cart around
with me.

Anyway, lots of people comment on how "big" it is - I think it's the
right size.  it fits perfectly on my lap, where smaller computers are
slightly less comfortable there.  It can be a little tight on a flight,
but my knees hit the seat in front of me anyway, so I'm used to dealing
with that sort of thing.  And the 15" isn't much better, really (I used
to have a TiBook).  And I definitely notice the extra pixels when I
have to use somebody else's 15" PowerBook.

Anyway, it can be a tough decision.  Perhaps you should try going to
your local Mac retailer, and try both out for a while, doing the sort
of things you might normally be doing with it.  Fill the screen up with
iPhoto and Photoshop and Safari and Mail and whatnot - see if the 17"
makes a big enough difference for you.  It's enough for me that I
hardly ever use Exposé (except to expose the desktop) - I generally
arrange all my windows so there's at least a little bit showing of
each.  ;-)