[Ti] Remote Desktop Question

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Mar 12 19:33:32 PST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 8:35 AM, David DelMonte wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to use remote desktop (2.x) over the
> internet - connecting two computers that are on different lans and
> that use DHCP to get IP addresses?
>
> If so, can you please give me detailed instructions on how to set up
> both clients and the server.

It works fine over the internet.  ARD 2 is nothing but a VNC
server/client application.

The server (machine that you want to control from a remote location)
will need a static IP on the LAN, or a DHCP lease time of long enough
duration to prevent it from getting a different IP after it's been
rebooted.  The router that routes the LAN for the server has to be set
up to port forward TCP port 5900 from the WAN (internet) to the
internal address of the server.

On the client side, you don't need to do anything except connect to the
WAN IP (or hostname if it's in DNS) of the location where the server is
on port 5900.  Obviously the WAN IP where the server is located must
also be static or DHCP with a long enough lease time to remain
relatively static.
--
Chris