[Ti] dial up not working

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Mar 13 08:38:21 PST 2005

At 10:12 -0800 12/3/05, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
>On 12 Mar 2005, at 06:27, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>>
>>Could it be that they have been set up in such a way that they do
>>NOT work with Mac ??
>>Is there not a standard for dialup connections that must be used?
>
>There is a standard, it's the "PPP" that you see mentioned in your
>handshake text.

I thought that point to point protocol was platform independent.  So
if these sites do not work with a Mac, what could be the explanation?

Is this part of the puzzle: I called Saudi Telecom last night, and
got the comlete list of telephone numbers of this new 'class' (the
'366' numbers).  It seems that they are not all set up exactly the
same.  None are time limited, none require a user name or password,
but some require a proxy setting.

I tried one with a proxy setting - SaudiNet -  and the dial-up
worked, first time.

>I have a good friend that lives in Riyadh, I will send him an email
>and see if he is able to use the service. Is the service working
>with PC's?

As far as I know, it is working fine with a PC.  All my colleagues
here (all with PC) have stitched to using these 366 numbers..

These are all the numbers I have, if your friend would like to check
them out (if he has not already):

SaudiNet		366 0077		proxy.saudinet.sa

DiJi		366 0001		proxy.dijinet.sa

Sahara		366 0123

Nesma		366 0033

Zajoul		366 0222

A		366 0011

Cyberia		366 0300

All I know so far is that SaudiNet works, neither Nesma nor Zajoul work.

Nesma and Zajoul work fine as regular ISP, if I access their service
with one of their cards, at their normal dial-up number.

regards,  Trevor