[Ti] R E A L L Y SLOW performance...

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 11:39:35 PST 2005

I would look for a newer, cooler, faster and less power hungry G4 mobile
chip to emerge first!

As for the system slowdown, It might be wise to use Cocktail or AppleJack or
Onyx (new version just released) to optimize your system. I would also run
TechTool Pro 4 or DiskWarrior to write a new directory for you. You could
also get TTP4 to physically optimize your files. These things almost always
result in a boost in performance. I wouldn¹t worry too much about damage
being done by these utilities. I certainly have never heard of it happening
- unless your system is really so badly damaged to begin with that it is
beyond repair. But even then, you have a chance to look at the behavior of
the new directory before it is finally written to disk and these utilities
can usually warn you ahead of time if damage is likely to happen if you went
ahead.

I happen to be a beta tester for Micromat and I can assure you their
utilities go through rigorous testing before they are finally released. But
even with their beta versions (which I run only with a full disk backup
handy), I have yet to encounter any hint of damage.

jg

Chris Olson typed this message on 3/13/05 2:12 PM: