[Ti] R E A L L Y SLOW performance[OT]iMac G5

Tom Warner tom at dfind.com
Sun Mar 13 16:09:46 PST 2005

On 13 Mar 2005, at 11:51 pm, T.L. Miller wrote:

> I like my 20" G5 iMac very much, but the fan for the HD (ST3160023AS)
> fan
> is noisy at 5000+ RPM. It's hard to figure out why the HD runs so hot
> while I'm working only w/ e-mail and surfing the web.

My HD (same as yours) runs at ~49c most of the time. It's only if the
CPU temp gets near 70c that the fans start to ramp up and they drop
back right away with the temp.

Things have tended to 'read' a little cooler resulting in less fan
activity since 10.3.8.

Also running Processor Performance on 'Automatic' makes a substantial
difference in CPU temp and fan activity.

I leave mine on 'High' because the fans are so unobtrusive.

Just out of curiosity, do you 'sleep' yours?

All the best,
Tom