[Ti] Questions about the new 1.67GHz 15" Powerbook

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Fri Mar 25 15:05:33 PST 2005

Answers are inserted below each question.

> I have been considering a new 15" 1.67GHz AI powerbook and although
> probably can't justify it, that's never stopped me before. My current
> portable of 2 1/2 years (longest of any Apple portable owned) has
> been the  magnifico Ti 667 DVI. (So feel reluctant to part with it,
> but it still has 5 months on Applecare remaining so has good resale
> and insurance for new buyer value.) The first Ti was the original
> 400MHz and was able to use the earlier extra AC adapter and spare
> battery with the 667. A real bonus.
>
> First question. Although the new AI uses a 65W AC charger/adapter,
> does it require it? And do they still use the same plug architecture
> as on the earlier 667? If memory serves, and it so seldom does, I
> think I remember reading you could hurt them with too much power but
> not with too little. The 667 has a 45W adapter. Just takes them
> longer to recharge the battery. Is this true?

Both use the same plug. According to what I've heard the 45 watt charger
will work but charge slowly.

> Speaking of power, are there larger third-party batteries
> available/cheaper or are the Apple batteries the only game in town?
>
> This model will have the 8X Superdrive. I understand it will now burn
> DVD-RW's. Will it also burn dual layer DVD's?
>
> My Airport network is with the original Airport base station. I don't
> plan on upgrading it, yet. Will this newer Extreme card work without
> issue(s)? I know it will default to the slower broadcast rate but are
> there any issues?

No issues.

> I'm thinking the 64MB 9700 video card will suffice as I won't be
> using the portable as a desktop replacement. Or is the 128MB card
> worth the extra dollars? I know everyone's needs are different, I'm
> just looking for the kind of thoughtful input this list is always
> generating. I will upgrade the RAM to 1GB.

I don't know what you plan on doing but Doom 3 will run on the base model.

> And finally, all my software and OS is current and upgraded. I plan
> to just Carbon Clone the Ti and load it on to the AI? Or does OSX
> install by picking and choosing what it requires a la carte re: CPU?
> And as a result, I won't have everything the newer machine requires
> in the installed OSX.3.8. True or false?

Apple include an application included to migrate your older software and
documents over to the new machine. I don't recall it name though

> Appreciate any/all opinions/suggestions.
>
> Thanks & Happy Easter to everyone!
> Rod

HTH
John
--
 One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them.
 One OS to bring them all and in anti-competitive practices bind them.