[Ti] [OT] copy and paste - Keynote®

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Mon Mar 28 09:16:12 PST 2005

I am using Keynote® 2.0.1 ALL the time, for
preparing lectures and presentations.

There is something useful that I have found, that is also a puzle to me.

I am often copying and pasting from Word 11 in to
Keynote® or from Keynote® in to Word 11.

Neither processes really work.  Text from Word
goes in to Kynote in a not very useful format,
that I can do little with.

Copying - for example Tables - from Keynote in to
Word just produces black objects of no use to man
nor beast.

The solution: to use OmniGraffle as an
intermediate step, a sort of smart clipboard.

Copy text from Word in to an open blank
Omnigraffle page, then copy it immediately - no
treatment or processsing - in to Keynote.  Or
copy a Table from Keynote in to Omnigraffle and
then copy straight in to Word.

This intermediate step, which on the surface is
doing nothing, provides a perfect copy and paste
in to the target software.

Text from Word becomes a useful, resizeable object in Kkeynote.

Tables from Keynote are perfect in Word.

So

(1) HOW does this work >?

(2) WHY is the copy and paste routine in the
Finder so inept, compared to this additional
virtual step?

For me, this is a work-around.  To be able to do
this normal operation directly would not just be
elegant, it is how it should work.  It would save
me a lot of time.

What is misssing in Word (or Keynote, or the
Finder) that prevents the direct copy and paste?

I point the finger at Word, because I can copy
Tables from Keynote directly in to Pages.
However, text from Pages in to Keynote works just
the same as Word, and needs Omnigraffle to turn
it in to a resizeable object.

Anyone else made these observations?

regards,  Trevor