[Ti] with apologies....

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat May 14 07:13:09 PDT 2005

What seemed to me (thread "worst update ever? ") to be a very poor
update from Apple (10.3.9) turned out to be coincident with the
beginning of a media problem (hard disk) on my Al-book.  So my
apologies to Apple and anyone else on the List who thought I was a
bit tough on this update !  :-)

The S.M.A.R.T. report said my hard disk was failing or failure was impending.

I have now replaced the Hitachi hard drive with a Toshiba (same, 80
Gb, 5400 rpm) hard drive, reinstalled 10.3 then combo update to
10.3.9, and eeverything seems to be working well.  I think all my
issues before were related to the hard disk incipient failure.
Fortunately, no data was lost.

regards,  Trevor