[Ti] Tiger and Airport reception fluctuations

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sat May 14 08:27:31 PDT 2005

The very first thing I noticed on my Powerbook was that the signal
strength reported both in the Menu bar and in Internet Connect is
that it is pinned at 100% at all times. Before it varied between 60
to 70 or so - never 100.

I should mention that I use a D-Link DI-624 wireless router with a
directional antenna pointed down the hall to where I usually use my
Powerbook. But even with the special antenna, my signal was middling
at best before Tiger came along.

I also have the router set at Super-G with Dynamic Turbo which is
compatible both with the Airport card and with a 3Com PCMCIA wireless
card I sometimes use (which gives faster throughput then the Airport
Extreme card when I need it.)

I have not noticed any fluctuations at all with the Airport Extreme
card, but there are minor ones with the 3Com Card.

jg