[Ti] Airport Extreeme - file transfer

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun May 15 07:56:24 PDT 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> But WHAT is the next step to actually send a file or connect to his
> laptop?
>
> has anyone done this, and can explan in one sentence what I am missing?
>
> (since neither of us could figure it out, I sent the file via
> Bluetooth, which was fine).

This is now totally seamless with Windows.  All you need is Bonjour in
the Windows box, which you can download here (look for the Windows link
on the lower right corner):

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bonjour/

This provides ZeroConf networking on the Windows box, which Macs
already have.  The two machines don't even need to be on the same
workgroup, all you need to know is the machine names.  Say yours is
Trevor's PowerBook, and the Win box's name is Dell-Laptop.  In Finder
you use Connect and type in:

smb://Dell-Laptop.local

On the Win box in Windows Explorer you type in:

\\Trevor's PowerBook.local\

It "just works" with Bonjour.  Without Bonjour, the setup on the Win
box to connect computer-to-computer with SMB is non-trivial.
--
Chris