[Ti] Disk Permission Repair Differences??

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Wed Nov 2 12:25:23 PST 2005

Ever since following the advice in the original "Take Contol" upgrade
series, first from Jaguar to Panther and now to Tiger, I have
followed the author's suggestion to additionally repair disk
permissions from the current  OSX install DVD.

Even though I always continue to run a disk permission repair first
from either Cocktail or Onyx, the Disk Utility off the current,
install OSX DVD always seems to find additional permissions to
repair. As a result, I take the time to run permission repairs from
there, too.

Anyone, why does the boot from the install DVD & Disk Utility find
these additional permissions to repair? And shouldn't that be the
preferred method of permission repair since it continues to find
additional permissions?

With system upgrades I have followed this procedure:

1. Download any updater to HD.
2. Repair permissions with Cocktail or Onyx.
3. Run DiskWarrior to check for any directory issues and repair if necessary.
4. Boot from current OSX install DVD and repair permissions from Disk Utility.
5. Do a FW backup with SuperDuper.
     And finally...
6. Run system updater.

To date, haven't been burned. Am I being paranoid? <grin>

Rod

Difference between a hard drive or car crash?
With a hard drive crash you know you are dead!