[Ti] Re: tibook 400 stripes on the screen

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 12:23:26 PST 2005

AFAIK, your lines are probably caused by the failure of a few connections
at the edge of the LCD itself. Allegedly these faults can be repaired,
but the folks who do it charge quite a bit.

The LCD has a builtin circuit board (PCB) which takes the signal from the
computer and interprets it to drive the actual rows and columns of the
LCD array. The PCB is connected to the LCD itself with flat ribbon
cables, The connections at the PCB are soldered, but the end which
attaches to the LCD edges use an adhesive similar to hot melt glue. Those
connections can fail after awhile, age?, flexing?, overheating? dunno why
really. The proper repair, from what I understand, involves replacing the
adhesive to reattach the ribbon cables to the LCD's edge.

I've never tried it, but in theory one could use some sort of heat source
to remelt the original adhesive and thus reattach the broken connection.
You'd have to heat the edge, then press into place the ribbons and hold
and secure them evenly, then remove the heat to allow the adhesive to
reset. Easy-peasy, right? :-P

Unfortunately the general cure is to replace the entire LCD. With used
pre-DVI LCDs selling for $100-$200, that's the route I'd go. Of course,
you could always try the repair, if it doesn't work you're only out a
already-failed LCD.

dan k

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700