[Ti] Mactel powerbooks coming...when?

Matt Kibildis mksolid at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:23:26 PST 2005

I don't understand this "shooting the corporate foot" business.  Why
would Apple not want to switch from IBM to Intel?  IBM couldn't pump
out low-heat, energy efficient processors.  Apple's most successful
ventures are based around innovative and portable devices.  With IBM's
PowerPC heat issues, it's nearly impossible for them to make a
feasible g5 laptop, so you can imagine how far off tiny electronic
devices with a similar processor would be.  Also, I don't know how
many of you actually interact with IBM products on a day-to-day basis,
but let's just say that they are not exactly top of the line (and they
should be for that RIDICULOUS price!).

So, to recap, Apple chooses Intel because Intel certainly has the
resources to pump out efficient, quality chips - but it's not PowerPC,
memory mapped architecture, yada yada yada.  Well Mac OSX is BSD
based, so my prediction is that MacTels will outperform standard PCS
with similar specs, based purely on the efficiency and consistency of
BSD.

To close my argument, my experiences with Intel have been nothing but
positive.  They offer excellent support and they have extensive
hardware monitoring on their boards and processors.  All this bad rap
about AMD being better with less pipeline stages on their chips and
all this other nonsense is avoiding the big picture - with Intel you
are going to get a chip that is highly efficient with its voltage
requirements, with accordingly very low heat, and a longer life than
extremely hot AMD chips.  So why not have Intel macs?

On 11/14/05, Jane <cbirds at earthlink.net> wrote:
> When he says support I think he meant software.
> All new software will have to be written for the INTEL
> machines...which is why I bought a new laptop NOW so I would also not
> have to buy/upgrade to all new software.
> The hardware warranty will still run for as long as you have
> purchased it no matter what they do.
> It is agreed among most circles that this Intel baloney is a bad move
> by Apple. It might produce a sales bump now, but who knows who will
> want to buy a Mac with 'Intel Inside' in the future? Not I.
>
> On Nov 14, 2005, at 5:23 PM, John Griffin wrote:
>
> > I sure hope you are wrong about this! What if someone buys a new
> > PPC machine next year and takes out AppleCare? By my calculations,
> > it would have to have support from Apple until 2010 at the very
> > least. And I am fairly sure Apple will have a few more PPC machines
> > coming before they complete the changeover.
> >
> > Of course Apple has a history of shooting itself in the corporate
> > foot - like they did when they announced they were abandoning IBM
> > in favour of Intel, so who knows...?
> >
> > jg
> >
> > On 14-Nov-05, at 9:27 AM, Ondra Soukup wrote:
> >

> >> Full official Apple's support for PowerPC until 2009 and you know
> >> how the 3rd party support was for those 680x0 machines.
> >> On Nov 14, 2005, at 11:56 AM, Jean-Paul Thuot wrote:

> > Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random
> > stuff:
> >         http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

Your friends confine you in their worlds,
one by one, a string of pearls.