[Ti] Powerbook MacIntel... could be, could be... what do you think?

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Mon Nov 21 13:12:29 PST 2005

Chris Olson said:

>If you have to ask, then there's no sense in me even attempting to
>explain it.  Obviously you've never written a line of code in your life.

Well, there is a point, as I develop only for the Java virtual machines,
so I don't experience the problems of addressing "real" hardware. That
obviously makes me a lesser programmer than yourself highly and unworthy
of any real arguments.

So you're a programmer? Wow! I never could imagine where that ego-
centered mind came from (...).
Well, then, if you're a programmer, you don't have to cite who agree or
disagree with you. I take your word for it. Not!

So what if you are not a total hack when it comes to computers? If you
want play the messenger of bad news, you still have to point out who else
thinks like you that has made their points known and that hopefully make
reasonable arguments that can be believed.
I'm not refusing to take in your line of thought, but you don't supply
enough to be believable. So then you're obviously not going to be
believed. This was your objective?

You refusing to respond to the reasonable questions on why Apple couldn't
make G5 or other IBM processor powerbooks, 1-2 years ago, makes it even
harder to evaluate what you suggest. You say the processors are and have
been there. WHY wouldn't Apple use them even if they are expensive?
Powerbooks have been lagging for well over a year if not more. Faster
processors have been needed since the day the G5 arrived!

>I'm working on porting a MySQL client application to MacTel at this
>very moment.  Been working on it for over a month.  Won't run with
>Rosetta either because it's mostly AltiVec code.  I'm getting back to
>work and leaving you in your dream world.
Yes, get back to sulking behind your keyboard. That's the right move.
Very impressive.

>End of discussion.

Wow, the big name programmer ended the discussion. Of course I must now
feel ashamed I even had the indecency to see whether the emperor had
clothes or not. (...)
 Seriously, you backing out indicate that, your possible wast knowledge/
experience (unknown at this point) notwithstanding , that your postulated
theories of what will  happen when OS X come to Intel doesn't seem to
hold water.

It was interesting enough that I will keep an eye on the subject though.

"We can turn out amazing human beings without technology. Precedent also
shows that we can turn out very uninteresting human beings with technology."
-- Steve Jobs, CEO Apple Computer