[Ti] The reason we use Macs instead of PC's (long)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Nov 22 16:21:56 PST 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:11 PM, alexandre wrote:

> again, this is an un-educated opinion, but what i was trying to say
> is that our laptops don't SEEM to have evolved as much as the pc
> laptops in terms of speed. have the intel laptops also only evolved
> 67% in the past 32 months? i don't know…

Well, I don't know about that.  But I recently bought an IBM ThinkPad
with an Intel Pentium M 740/1.73 Ghz.  I bought it because it was
cheaper than a PowerBook and looked like a well-built machine.  I
wanted to run some Windows software that I had bought also.  I've had
numerous problems with it to date and sold my PowerBook G4/800 when I
bought it.  Last Saturday my wife and I went to the Apple Store in
Bloomington, MN and bought me a new PowerBook G4/1.67 15".

The ThinkPad is a dog, compared to the PowerBook, in almost every
respect including with Microsoft Office.

I advertised the ThinkPad for sale in the local paper last Thursday.
The paper came out this morning and I've had 5 calls on it already
this afternoon.  After I got everything I wanted in it, it cost me
$1,196.36, new, after the promo and rebate.  Every person that's
called so far quibbles on the price.  The last guy told me he'd give
me $600 for it because he can go to Walmart and get a new one for
that.  The ThinkPad is only 2 months old, for crying out loud.

I sold my 3 year old G4/800 (had been upgraded with an 80 GB drive, a
full GB of RAM, and a DVD burner from OWC) for $1,350, and the woman
that bought it didn't quibble on the price one bit.  She was the
first person that called on it when the ad came out in the paper, she
asked me if I still had it and if it worked OK, and she was at our
house and bought it two hours later.  I got over 20 calls on that
PowerBook over the next two weeks because of the ad in the newspaper.

Don't look to me like PC laptops have evolved at all.

--
Chris