[Ti] Re: i386 viruses

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Nov 25 20:25:51 PST 2005

On Nov 25, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Mikael Byström wrote:

> Generally I agree with the idea that it is probably harder to write
> viruses for OS X.

Not "probably" at all.

> But is really ease the reason virii is ramping in the windowsworld
> one may ask.

I think what you're saying/asking is "Is ease the reason why there
are so many viruses in the Windows world?"

The answer: yes!

It is easy to do, because the OS is inherently insecure with some
security added on later.  Look at the recent Sony rootkit fiasco
(*).  The OS allowed for a program to be installed which completely
undermined the security of the operating system.

NOTE: **** anti virus and anti spyware programs did NOTHING to
protect against this security flaw.
' **** (Remember that next time you hear someone say "I use anti-
virus on Mac because I want to be protected when the first virus/
spyware comes along")

Realize that just because Sony succumbed to the pressure of bad PR
does NOTHING to prevent anyone ELSE from doing THE EXACT SAME THING
again.  Every time you install a program in Windows, it may install a
rootkit.  Any program (**).  In Mac OS X you would at least have to
enter your administrator password.

The first "spyware" / "malware" program for OS X will come in a
program where people blindly type in their administrator password.
There is NO DEFENSE for this kind of stupidity.  If you download a
program from an untrusted source and then blindly type in your
password when asked, you will be at risk.  No anti-spyware program
would help you.

I presume everyone has read this, if not it is HIGHLY recommended:

http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/broken_windows

As usual, he does a good job in summarizing the fallacy behind the
idea that "If OS X has more users, they'd have more viruses/spyware."

Outlook Express (the free mail program bundled with Windows) is so
poorly designed it ought to be renamed a Virus Distribution
Application, at which point it would simply have to be considered the
most successful application ever coded.  Many people refer to it as
"LookOut!" which I think it a much more apt name :-)

  From a security standpoint, the programmers who coded it ought to
be sued for malpractice (and Microsoft for distributing it).

TjL

(*) if you've managed to somehow miss the Sony Rootkit fiasco:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sony+rootkit

http://news.google.com/news?q=sony%20rootkit&sa=N&tab=wn

(**) There are very few programs in Windows which are just an .exe
which can be run by itself.  Unlike Mac OS X which, for the most
part, just says "Drag this to your /Applications folder" almost ALL
Windows programs come with an installer.  Windows XP does have the
idea of an "Administrator" but it's so impossible to actually do
anything with a non-Administrator account, I don't know anyone who
does it, and the default account which is created (the only one which
will be used by the vast majority of people) is an administrator
account.