[Ti] Re: i386 viruses

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Sat Nov 26 05:59:39 PST 2005

themacuser said:

>Coincidence.
>I have a backup of my FCP3, it works fine.

Nope. No coincidence. But it wasn't effective everywhere and I'm not
convinced it was intentional. it could be some kind of special thing with
permissions, but I was running as root. This was repeatable on all newer
G4 hardware I tried it on at the time. It did work on a Dual G4 550, so I
also managed to get a backup finally. Also, it was with Panther I first
encountered this, so it wasn't in Jaguar I think. It seemed only to be
effective in newer machines with Panther and the type of CD-R burner
could be affecting things as well.
It should be noted that it was only original Apple CDs that were copy-
prevented that I had these symptoms with. I managed to make backup copies
of my uncopyable (hole in the disc) audio apps on the same machine, which
was wonderful as I could store away the originals, instead of using them
on the road for authentication and such.

Wasn't there also a similar story on Tiger/Toast 7? Prevention of some
music burning?

To prevent copying is of course not malicious, just an inconvenience.
What I didn't like about the prevention was that it didn't inform of what
was the problem.