[Ti] Free Speech (OT) Long (was "Powerbook MacIntel... ")

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Sun Nov 27 11:24:40 PST 2005

On 11/27/05 12:58 PM, "Mikael Byström" <mikael.bystrom at punkass.com> wrote:
> In
> the case of my expressed views to Shawn offlist, on letting a then
> resolved somewhat negative discussion fade out (see end of msg), was
> taken by him as me trying to dictate what he should not do. It was meant
> to be a suggestion

Then it should have been better worded.

>  and as expressing my view on the matter to him
> personally, because to me it only concerned him, but for whatever reason
> he refused to see it that way.

Yes, I did. Because I was being told not to respond to some comment on the
list. Seems ridiculous in context of what you wrote, doesn't it?

> I think Shawn is *right* that I can't demand from him that he behaves
> according to widespread and accepted netiquette,

LOL As defined by who? "List Rules" circumvent your imagined "netiquette".

> but I do have every
> right to expect that he or anyone else does

Wait...you feel you have a "right" to expect me to behave according to your
rules? Good luck with that.

> and in addition I have every
> right to express my belief that he should, also to his mailbox (until he
> lets me know he wouldn't want that anymore).

Wha....? You think you have a "right" to send email to me unrequested? You
have a right to send me an email scolding me on my behavior?

And why do I have to "let you know" that I don't want email from you
directly? Why would you assume I did want email from you? Your explanation
is exactly the same excuse spammers use to send the volumes of mail we all
get. "Well, they didn't ask me *not* to send them email...."

If you send email to a complete stranger, don't be surprised what that
stranger does with it.

People assume email is private - it's not. It's one of the most public
things we do on the Net.

> I also think Shawn is *wrong* when he says that his impression that he
> had somehow been violated, by my freely expressed opinion to him, give
> him an undeniable right to do with it what he wants. He could have just
> expressed himself right back to me.

Ah...so you can choose the method in which you communicate to me but I don't
have the same "right"?

Can you hear the hypocrisy in what you are saying?

> E X T R A  E X T R A  V I O L A T A T I O N  O F  F R E E  S P E E C H:

LOL Again, you have no right to free speech on a mailing list. You can keep
screaming it from the rooftops if you'd like but it doesn't make it so.

> Here's my alleged "attack", sent in private, on Shawns right to freely
> express himself anywhere:
>> This have been and gone and further comments at this point are quite
> unnecessary.
>
> Wow! I can really see how Shawns rights to free speech were diminished by
> my outrageous comment that truly undermined his (perceived) authority.

LOL I have no authority on this list. You credit me with more influence than
I have.

--
Shawn King
Host/Executive Producer