[Ti] Good 802.11G cards for the TiBook?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 06:25:21 PDT 2005

If you are looking for an Altheros based card that has the best
reception plus Mac compatibility I would suggest the 3Com 3CRPAG175.
It has an antenna that retracts (which is also a switch that turns
the card on when extended and off when pushed in). If you get this
card you can then go to the 3Com web site and download Mac drivers
that install a panel in the System Preferences which controls the
card and supplies information and diagnostics. If you use a different
Atheros PCMCIA card, you have to download (and pay for) Orangeware’s
drivers to make it Mac compatible. I tend to use this card in the
setting you mention because of its compact size and the excellent
antenna system.

You can also use a Broadcom based card (same as Airport) and forget
about 3rd party drivers. One thing to keep in mind is that amost all
Wireless routers in use these days use the Altheros chipset, so you
can use the maximum setting on the card and get better speeds then
you can with Airport.

jg