[Ti] New iMac models...

Seymour Wolfson wolfson at wayne.edu
Thu Oct 13 08:24:11 PDT 2005

>I’ll tell you, I am very tempted to lose the Powerbook and
get one of
>the new 2.1 Ghz G5 iMacs! It may be the last chance to grab a
decent
>PowerPC Mac before they start rolling in the cheesy Intel
machines.

>I have to admit that when I turned 65, I found that I hardly
ever
>used the portability factor of the Powerbook. So why not get
one of
>those new very spiffy-looking machines.
>
>Anybody else thinking along the same lines?
>
>jg
===============
I have some relatives who have been asking me advice on buying
a new Mac and I am hesitant to recommend one of the current
ones because once the intel chips go in, none of the software
is going to work in native form.  There are going to be all
kinds of issues with updating software to run on the intel
boxes. Sure there will be some converters or simulators, but
it is never the same and after a while Apple will offer more
OS upgrades that will eventually not support the old stuff,
just like OS 9.  So I have suggested they wait.  I am not sure
if that is the best advice, just something to think about.
Seymour