[Ti] New iMac models...

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Oct 14 01:29:58 PDT 2005

alexandre wrote:

> On 13 oct. 05, at 17:11, John Griffin wrote:
>
>> I’ll tell you, I am very tempted to lose the Powerbook and get one
>> of the new 2.1 Ghz G5 iMacs! It may be the last chance to grab a
>> decent PowerPC Mac before they start rolling in the cheesy Intel
>> machines.
>>
>> I have to admit that when I turned 65, I found that I hardly ever
>> used the portability factor of the Powerbook. So why not get one of
>> those new very spiffy-looking machines.
>>
>> Anybody else thinking along the same lines?

I'm steering well clear of these iMacs. Two friends have the earlier
revision G5 iMacs, and I can honestly say that they are the noisiest and
ugliest (imo) Macs I have ever used. One of them has so much trouble
dissipating heat (in London, not the warmest of climates) that it
sometimes crashes while running overnight. If you live in a warmer
climate, I'd check to see if Apple have done anything to improve the
cooling performance on these models.

The first time i saw the case design, I was rather troubled that Apple
was putting G5's in there after having used their original G5 Tower
case. Personally I am saving up to buy a G5 tower, which does take up a
lot of space, and is rather heavy, but runs without the excessive noise
generated by the (smaller?) fans inside the G5 iMac.

--
Tarik