[Ti] Re: New iMac models... [ no Modem]

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Sat Oct 15 07:11:01 PDT 2005

--On October 15, 2005 12:15:00 AM -0400 Steve Wozniak <steve at woz.org> wrote:

> At 11:09 PM -0400 2005.10.14, David DelMonte wrote:
>>
>> I have scanned a signature and keep it as a jpg in my documents folder.
>> When I have to "sign" something, I write a Word or Pages document and add
>> the sig, Then I email the document. I even do this with forms. As I learn
>> what forms are required by institutions I deal with (Bank transfers for
>> example), I scan those forms too.
>
> I did that 18 years ago, with certain financial documents. This was before
> the internet but I used an outfit that you could reach as a BBS that would
> deliver a laserwriter printed document in major cities in 4 hours. Boy was
> that nice, but after a short time they refused the electronic signatures.
> I'm sure the acceptance of those still varies. I do keep ones on my
> computer and one right on my desktop to apply to personal email but don't
> do it electronically much anymore.
>
> The SEC can be rather fussy about such things.

I always find it humorous that some institutions will only accept a faxed
document, which can be easily forged with scissors and Elmer's glue, and not
an emailed PDF with JPEG signature pasted in. But logic and reason don't
always rule in business and government regulations.

To stray even more off-off topic, it reminds me of the physician I heard on
NPR who told about his efforts at trying to fill an eyedrop prescription for
himself at a drugstore counter. The pharmacist refused his efforts because
rules required that he must show the original of his license certificate with
the serial number on it. So, he just went over a few aisles and called in on
his cell phone, since it IS permitted for them to take the same information
over the phone.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com