[Ti] An OS X Question

Kim Gammelgård kgani at mac.com
Tue Oct 18 10:32:01 PDT 2005

he, I certainly hope you are making jokes, for OS X (pronounced ten)
does not use X Windows if you don't install it separately. X Windows
is a so-called windowing manager and is very handy if you need to
access a server with a GUI, as opposed to the command-line. It is
also used heavily in other *nixes.

I am in fact sure that you have never seen X-Windows if you are not
joking. here are a few examples:

http://playstation2-linux.com/screenshot.jpg
http://users.tkk.fi/~mfkoskin/ufo/x/xufo-scrshot1.jpg
http://www.openoffice.org/screenshots/images/scalc_osx.png

Looks just like the rest of windows on your Mac, doesn't it ;-)

here is the entry in the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwindows

I occasionally use X-windows at work for accessing stuff on my AIX-
server, but it is not something for the average Mac-user, I am
certain. That is why it is a separate installation I guess. The good
thing about being able to run it on your mac now, is that it enables
a lot of *Nix-applications to run on your Mac with a lot less effort
than rewriting the code, and this is a very significant step.

If you really want to try it out, have a go with Open Office:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

this next link is a must-read too, if anybody is still with me:

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/runningx11.html

Kind regards,

Kim