[Ti] Re: Intel cuts PC boot time

TjL lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Oct 24 13:36:34 PDT 2005

...... Original Message .......
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:38:02 -0400 "John" <simplymail at ururk.com> wrote:
>>> I assumed that this was one of the features of the Windows system.
>>>
>> I don't think it's a part of Windows. It's an extra as far as I know.
>> In VPC it's a feature of VPC.
>
>Nope, not a part of Windows. XP, etc... does not have anything close
>to sleep. Windows machines have "Standby" and "Hibernate" -> neither
>of which load fast (in fact, it may be faster to shut a Windows
>laptop down than do either of these actions!). I hope Sleep remains
>as is on the IntelBooks. I don't think "Sleep" is limited to the
>PowerPC architecture.

Why does everyone always think either/or when we talk about new things?

XP has hibernation and sleep (if your computer hardware supports them).

OS X has sleep.

Only fanatics would argue OS X users are better off.

Hibernation works much faster than booting for my 650Mhz Pentium3 with
512mb RAM.  I have it set to hibernate when I close the lid of my Dell
laptop.

I had a Zealot Stewardess tell me my laptop had to be OFF not just
asleep..she saw the light flashing.  Hibernation shuts off all the lights
and yet I can still restart where I left off.

VirtualPC7 does do the equivalent of this for Windows at least, not sure
about other OSes.