[Ti] Intel shows off 64-bit dual core processors for mobile, desktop, and servers

Mike mliii at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 1 11:53:46 PDT 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> I suspect as it gets right down to the wire reality is going to set
> in, and you're going to see more major application vendors simply drop
> out of the scene because it makes no business sense to support two
> different operating environments

Wasn't this exactly what was said about the transition from OS 9 to OS
X?

Look, I don't pretend to have any inside information and I am certainly
NOT a computer wiz- I'm just a user. For me, the Mac is a tool and,
from my perspective, a good one. I prefer it to a Windows environment,
that much is certain. Do I particularly LOVE the notion that the Mac
will be switching to Intel processors? Not really. But by the same
token, I don't really give a rat's derriere as long as the overall
platform continues to outshine its Windows competitors from a users
point of view. And I understand that you are concerned about that being
the case.
However, unless you truly believe that Steve, et al have decided to
commit corporate suicide, it seems to me that it makes sense to let the
process play out. Once it has, if you really think alternative
platforms are superior, you will migrate in that direction. But the
bulk of us good old general users don't care whether Intel, Motorola,
IBM, or Frito Lays provides the chips as long as the overall system
works in an "Apple" way.
We won't know the answer to that till there are products out there
actually running the new processors. Till then, while concern about the
readiness of applications is appropriate, it strikes me that much of
the angst and apprehension about this is somewhat overstated.
Just my 4¢ worth (with the price of gasoline in this part of the US
going for over $3/gal, 2¢ is no longer an option!)

"When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to
drop off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of
two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or
you will be taught how to fly."  -- Anonymous