[Ti] Running Debian/PowerPC on a PowerBook (long)

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Sep 1 23:08:32 PDT 2005

On Sep 1, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Mike Bigley wrote:
> Though I also suspect that those who REALLY believe that stuff
> would be unsubscribing from this list and joining a Windows laptop
> group to prepare for their switch.

I have no use for Windows because it doesn't run on PowerPC.  A
PowerBook is a PowerBook, and they happen to run PowerPC linux just
as well as they run Mac OS X.  I haven't used a linux desktop system
since the KDE 2.x days, and quite a few changes have happened.

Under linux I find better driver support than I do under OS X for
some devices like scanners and external USB drives.  And excellent
support for software tools like OpenOffice, GIMP, Scribus (desktop
publishing), non-linear video editing and moving making, and even
video conferencing software that actually *works* with MS Netmeeting.

After loading my old PowerBook G4/400 with PowerPC Debian and
installing all the software, I've found Digikam to be superior to
iPhoto, I can handle Quicktime .mov format perfectly, as well as
Windows Media and Real formats.  I have Kino for digital video/movie
making as well as Cinelerra (which I had to compile from source code
because there were no PowerPC binaries available).  Cinelerra is
about on par with Final Cut Pro and the interface is very similar to
FCP, however I have to learn to use it yet.  I can even play and edit
mpeg-2 without needing to buy any plugin, if you can imagine that.
AirPort wireless works perfectly.  I got Firefox for the web, and
Ximian Evolution for email which gives me 100% compatibility with
Microsoft Exchange.  I got my music collection into Rhythmbox, which
is almost identical to iTunes as far as the interface and features,
plays AAC/MPEG-4 audio just fine, and works perfectly with my iPod
mini.  I got Rosegarden which was free and blows GarageBand right out
of the water for performance.  Rosegarden actually works on a 400 Mhz
machine without all the interface glitches I experience in GarageBand
on my dual G4 PowerMac when playing several tracks at once.

I plug in my digital camera to a USB port and it "just works".  I
plug my DV camera into the Firewire port and it "just works".  The
computer sleeps when I close the lid, wakes when I open it, and the
battery even lasts about 30 minutes longer than it did with OS X
because the system UI takes less than half the cpu power to do simple
things like move windows around on the screen.  Nor does Debian use a
brain-dead virtual memory driver like OS X does, so the pages in/out
of RAM to disk are considerably less under Debian which not only
speeds things up, it's easier on the hard disk.

Setting it up and installing the software was trivial.  The only real
problem I had was messing around with the X-server settings to get
1152x768 resolution instead of 1024x768.  In the end I'm pleased with
the performance.  Running KDE on my old G4/400 is considerably
snappier and more responsive than my 1 GHz Ti running OS X.

At first it was an experiment.  So far I haven't spent one solitary
dime on software and I find the quality to be every bit as good as
anything you can buy for OS X.  The interface is decidedly more like
Windows 2000, but is incredibly stable and fast - no more spinning
beachballs and Windows networking/printing to shared printers is
totally seamless.  I didn't have to install one printer or driver -
all the shared printers on our Macs just showed up automatically in
the CUPS/KDE print dialog and they all work perfectly.  Now I'm down
to the point where I have to get two commercial apps (Mathematica and
VariCAD) to make a complete switch.

The beauty of Debian is that it runs on everything from a Mac to high-
end pSeries servers with full support for PowerPC embedded 405, 440,
850, 860, 8500; the desktop families: 603, 604, 750 (G3), 74xx (G4),
970 (G5); and the server families: POWER3, RS64, POWER4, and POWER5.
Debian also runs on all x86 processors, 64-bit AMD, and 64-bit Intel
Itanium2 (IA64), as well as Sun SPARC, MIPS (SGI), ARM, and several
others.

A few months ago I tried to install PowerPC Debian in a dual G5/2.5
and found poor support in Debian for the PowerMac's cooling system.
Apple refuses to release the internal specifications for their
hardware so it has to be reverse engineered.  Yellow Dog Linux was
the first to get full support for the G5's cooling system, and that
has now also migrated to Debian.  That'll be my next project.  If the
G5 goes well my migration off OS X will begin on a more serious note.
--
Chris