[Ti] Re: definitely OT: iPod nano

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Sep 12 12:14:41 PDT 2005

On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:22 AM, John Griffin wrote:

> My read on this is a bit different: Hello Intel and USB, Goodbye
> PowerPC and Firewire! I would be surprised if Firewire makes it
> into any of the Intel/Mac boxes or any future Apple products except
> as an optional extra.

Firewire had been dropping off before Intel:

http://daringfireball.net/2005/02/firewire_hysteria

I agree that this has to do more with casting a wide net than
abandoning FW altogether.

Is USB the future?  I dunno, but I spent a lot of $$$ on SCSI in the
past (NeXT).  It was better and faster, but it was also more expensive.

However, given that Apple has positioned the Mac as the center of the
digital hub, it seems unlikely that FW will go away.  What will
probably happen is just what exists on my 15" Powerbook: Two USB
ports, one Firewire (actually there's another Firewire too, but it
never gets used).

I wouldn't be surprised to see future Powerbooks with 4 USB ports and
1 Firewire.  I would be surprised if it drops away completely.

TjL

ps - since this is now a tangent thread on an OT post, let's not make
this into a whole 'nother huge "OMG Intel is going to ruin
everything" discussion....