[Ti] Ti upgrades

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:49:57 PDT 2005

>It's a cool upgrade, but not for that price.  You could get a low-end Mini for that much...
>
>~ Alex
>
>On 9/14/05, ~flipper <<mailto:lord.flipper at gmail.com>lord.flipper at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>For those on the List with the 'almost original' Ti-books, you might be interested in what I just read at MacInTouch:
>>
>>Sonnet Technologies introduced a new PowerBook G4 TiBook processor upgrade for PowerBook G4 550 MHz and 667 MHz (VGA) models. Available only with factory installation, the $499.95 upgrade features a Freescale 7457 G4 processor running at 1.2 GHz, plus 512K L2 onboard cache. The PowerBook G4 TiBook processor upgrade is compatible with Mac OS X through 10.4.x and Mac OS 9.2.x.
>>
>>regards,  Trevor
>
>Whoa... that looks perfect me...minus the cost , for now. With a dead firewire path in the sluggish-seeming 667, it sounds too good to be true. I think Apple wants almost double that to do a straight across mobo swap. Interesting. Extremely so.
>brian s

The Mini? yeah, nice thing. But I love the Titanium,. Mine went through hell, partly me being stupid, mostly circumstances beyond my control.

The mini isn't a laptop.. I mean.. I could buy a used Dell for that cash, too, but so what? I see the point regarding the front side bus and all that. Makes perfect sense. But I have the Aluminum book for day-to-day, and i will never be in the mood to consign the Ti, which served me so well, to the trash heap, no way.

Mine, at this point, needs: A mobo swap, a keyboard, and a combo drive replacement.  The 'swap' is the killer, as far as reasonable purchase goes... and it's in the next room, right now, running great with a firewire PCCard, an external keyboard and an external firewire Combo... so.... the Sonnet looks very interesting, for my so-called 'needs'.

brian S