[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Sep 22 11:08:53 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 1:51 AM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> Microsoft run full page adverts in magazines, posters at bus
> shelters, and everywhere else  constantly focussing on why their OS
> is so great. Of course that is Microsoft's flagship product
> (whereas Apple's is (sadly) an MP3 player and Music Library software).

This is just my opinion but if Apple *really* wants the PC business
back they could do one thing - release Mac OS for non-Apple
hardware.  Get Leopard out the door two months before Microsoft
releases Vista and drop the bomb that Leopard is available for $129
for any PC.  Then get it out there on the shelves of every store
where Windows XP now resides.  I wonder if Microsoft could ever
recover from such a move?  Their stock prices are pretty flat the
past few years and I suspect investors would bail like mice jumping
off a sinking ship.  Even the Windows pundits are scared of Mac OS to
the point where they feel they have to bolster their ego by holding
up Microsoft's monopoly as the reason Windows is better.

Get my drift?  The commodity PC business is the hardware champion -
Apple can't really compete there.  But they have proven they can do a
better job than Microsoft at getting a superior OS and application
suite into the hands of consumers.  Marry the two.

The Apple die hards might find it hard to swallow that their next
PowerBook is an IBM/Lenovo Z-series, but they'd probably get over it.

MSN's Virtual Earth might right now show an empty field where
Cupertino's headquarters are shown on Google Maps, and I'm sure
Microsoft would like a world free of the menace of Apple Computers.
But it's Apple's turn to out-maneuver, and Microsoft might be forced
to put Apple back on the map  :-)
--
Chris