[Ti] It's not competition or a real comparison, so what is this thread about? (was Re: PowerBook competition

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Sep 23 00:06:52 PDT 2005

On Sep 22, 2005, at 2:15 AM, Mr.Shannon Strachan wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2005, at 11:15, Chris Olson wrote:
>
>> One of the things I was impressed with is the price.  I would
>> consider this machine to be in the same class as a PowerBook, only
>> with a starting price of $799 - exactly $700 less money than an
>> entry level PowerBook.
>>
>> Comparing the two, the PowerBook doesn't have a wide screen aspect
>> ratio and has a 12" screen (1024x768) vs the ThinkPad's
>> 14" (1280x768).  It also has 3 USB 2.0 ports vs 2 on the
>> PowerBook, a built-in card reader, 128MB video RAM vs the
>> PowerBook's 64, VGA out instead of mini-DVI, a three year warranty
>> as standard instead of one year with two years purchased
>> AppleCare, and comes with a dual-layer DVD writer as standard vs
>> the PowerBook's Combo Drive.  Finally it's .2kg lighter than the
>> 12" PowerBook.
>
> From the Lenovo web site, the $799 model is a z60m, which is not
> titanium, has a 1280x800 screen (15.4 in), a Celeron M 1.5GHz
> processor, 40MB hard disk, CD-ROM drive, 256MB RAM, 1.5 in thick,
> and weighs over 6 lb.
>
> The z60t with a Pentium M 1.73GHz, 80MB hard disk, DVD-R drive, 14
> in. 1280x768 screen, 512MB RAM and 1-yr warranty starts at $1999.

Thanks Shannon.

So let's review:

     1) As Steve pointed out, "competition" between Apple and
Microsoft does not happen by someone walking into a store and
comparing them.  So just setting them side by side, even at the same
price, isn't competition.

     2) Chris gave a "comparison" between the Powerbook and the
Lenovo machine by giving us the lowest price of the Lenovo with all
the top features.

     So it's not true competition or a true comparison.

     What are we talking about again?

         TjL