[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Fri Sep 23 07:47:41 PDT 2005

T.L. Miller wrote:

>On 9/23/05, at 7:44 AM, Henry Kalir, <kalirhe at umdnj.edu> said:
>

>>Please - not again! We've been through this before and Apple needs to
>>give superior quality products at the SAME price as the competition.
>>

>Probably not going to happen. Dell's economies of scale are tough to
>compete with -- ask HP. Shouldn't Apple get a little something extra for
>their innovativeness, etc.? They aren't really in the commodity business.

Yes they are, Apple is in the business of making Personal Computers,
just like the others!
They no longer have a "monopoly" on a GUI (for quite some time!!). Sure
- Windows have their problems. YEAH -  people who migrate to the Mac OS
like is better, but (as many have pointed out time and again), without
an increase in the market share, most people will not buy it because
they need it to run applications and help them with their real life
tasks - not just to bask in its "innovativeness". Apple HAS to meet its
competition HEAD ON!

>>People are not as generous with their wallets as you'd have them be, and
>>Apple has lost a HUGE chunk of the market with this flawed approach.
>>

>However, even before the iPod, Apple was making money.

True, from an increasingly SHRINKING market. But even the loyal diehards
are saying - "ENOUGH" (um, wait - for those of you who hold this view of
"pay any price" - I suggest Apple charge you, and only YOU, x4 the usual
price for its products. Yes...why not? After all -  you'll pay anything
- SO PAY UP...)

Best,

Henry