[Ti] Re: PowerBook competition

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Sat Sep 24 02:31:06 PDT 2005

On 24/09/2005, at 5:27 PM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> I agree with your point about advertising.  Advertising and
> education, I think are needed.
> If YOU think there is little advertising, and you are in the 'home
> country', imagine how it is elsewhere.

I remember reading somewhere [and I can not quote precise references
or statistics so I can only speak generally] that only a few years
ago  [5?] about half of Apple's sales were outside USA. That figure
is now 40% and dropping. My observation [and there are examples of
Apple's lack of understanding the rest of the world exists] is that
Apple just does not care about the market outside USA. Yes, there are
is an Apple presence in Australia but it is minimal. The Australian
discussion boards frequently parallel those in USA and Europe
bemoaning the almost non-existent advertising and market pressure by
Apple. Microsoft is winning in leaps and bounds here. Just last year
Microsoft managed to sew up all [yes, all] Australian Universities.
Apparently iPods are selling well but the iPod figures are rolled
into overall Apple sales figures and thus an impression [fudged] is
given that Apple is doing well here with improved sales figures.

I am familiar with only two Apple User Groups [one is the largest in
the country] and I know that the large majority of members are over
50 years of age with a small handfull of "junior" members. That does
not bode well for the future of Apple.

Cheers

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA