[Ti] Mac Catalogs

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Tue Sep 27 17:47:33 PDT 2005

There are web sites that will do a comparison for you, and there are
many many companies on the internet that sell Macs. Price is
generally the same everywhere. The variables are: cost of shipping,
whether you have to pay sales tax, and the extras they give you like
free ram, printer, tote bag. The advantage of Apple is the built to
order options. I believe they are the only ones who will include a
larger hard drive and other built to order options. I don't think the
freebes are really worth much. Often the extra ram they offer is too
little and who wants a low low end printer that will cost you dearly
in ink replacements?

So I go with someone who offers free shipping and no tax, unless I
need built to order and then I buy it from apple. Go to ram seeker to
get the best deal on ram, although the cheapest ones don't offer
lifetime warranty on ram, and ram can go bad. Shop around for
AppleCare, because you can get this below Apple's list price, and you
don't need to buy it from the same place you buy the computer.

Finally, if you are affiliated with a school, you can save money by
buying from Apple Store for Education. Some deals throw in an iPod.

I wish i was buying a new powerbook ;-)

Jim