[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Apr 6 19:49:15 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Scott Smith wrote:

> It's a spirited debate with very good opinions and prophetic
> statements on both sides of the issue.  Let's play nice.  God knows
> what Steve J. is doing with the Boot Camp facto

Exactly.  It's only conjecture, but it looks like Apple is concerned
about the marketability of Intel Macs in the face of identical, but
cheaper, hardware from other x86 vendors.  I mean face it, there's no
software for Intel Macs from the major players.  Adobe says maybe Q2
2007.  Microsoft (Office) only promises - no specific dates
mentioned.  There are no 64-bit apps at all because there's no 64-bit
Intel Macs.  The Mac mini's base price went up $100 with Intel
Inside, and for what?  To get a computer with shared VRAM, no
hardware MPEG-2 decoder, and no software other than what it ships with?

That's a pretty hard sell.

But hey if you can run Windows on it, now there's something that will
capture the attention of the press and detract from the real issues!
Makes no difference if it's a totally useless feature to Mac users
because who wants to reboot every time you need to run a Windows
app.  It's marketing.  The easy switch to Intel where you just fill a
checkbox in Xcode and voila! you have a Universal binary didn't go
quite as smooth as His Steveness said it was going to.
--
Chris