[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

david at qednet.biz david at qednet.biz
Fri Apr 7 00:54:16 PDT 2006

Call me cynical....

But the timing of Apple's Boot Camp release, soon after the high profile
public competition to boot Windows on Intel Mac, suggests that Apple had
working code for this process all along, they were just waiting to see
what the hacker community would come up with.

Given that I have been dual booting my Macs with yaboot since BW G3 days,
the prospect of having windoze on my future Mac's is slightly more
exciting  than watching IE load ;)

I guess the move to Intel for Mac is more about marketing than
engineering. The arrival of Boot Camp only adds to the perception that
Apple is keen to do whatever it takes to get wider market share for the
Mac. The risk seems to be that the "different thinking" that was Apple's
hallmark for a long time gives way to consensus computing where a Mac is
pretty much just another computer.

my 2c

david