[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Apr 10 10:52:24 PDT 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 9:01 AM, rob morris wrote:

> And then realize that most everything he has told us has not come
> to pass.
> All the predictions from the past, the neysaying, etc. Nada.

Say what?  I believe I said time after time that porting PowerPC
software to x86 isn't as simple as filling a checkbox in Xcode.

Now what do we have?  We have Intel Macs with no software from the
major players.  Why?  Because it's not as easy as filling in a
checkbox in Xcode.

I also said the price of Intel-based hardware would not go down - it
would go up - and Apple would not be able to compete on price in the
commodity market.  What do we have?  Intel hardware that's more
expensive than the old stuff it replaced, and more expensive than
comparable PC hardware.  The value in that extra cost is also
questionable until resale value of used MacTel hardware shows that it
can outpace PC hardware.

If you're a Mac user you should be more interested in native software
for Mac OS X, not running Windows on a Mac as one of the "major
features".  So much for "Think Different".  I believe that's how this
thread got started.  Somebody with some common sense stepped back,
looked at this situation with Apple themselves providing a utility to
boot Windows on a Mac, and asked "what's goin' on here?"
--
Chris