[Ti] Wireless cards that work with G4 Powerbook

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 4 19:13:40 PST 2006

Personally, I use Verizon's Quick 2 Net (aka Mobile Office) service.
I'm not sure they really advertise it much any more, but it's pretty
handy for me.  I only rarely use it, so I want something free - I
just hook my phone (an ancient Motorola V60i) to my PowerBook via
USB, and tell it to connect.  The PowerBook sees it as a modem, and
has to have the appropriate modem script.  The connection uses voice
minutes - and since I get free nights and weekends, that means that I
also get free data.  The downside is that it's terribly slow; 14.4k.
But it's better than nothing, and it works absolutely everywhere,
even up in the north woods of Wisconsin.  For an extra $5 a month, I
could upgrade to what I believe is called NationalAccess; 144k, still
using voice minutes.  There are also plans for this that are based on
data usage instead of time, if you prefer.  However, because I'm
cheap, I prefer just sticking with the low-end plan.

Now the question is - do any other providers have a similar thing?
My phone needs to be replaced, and I DON'T want to have to pay much
for data.

An outdated but useful web page for Mobile Office/Quick 2 Net:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/