[Ti] Wireless cards that work with G4 Powerbook

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Mon Feb 6 13:55:01 PST 2006

On 2/4/06 9:59 PM, "Bob Bergey" <rb at dprint.com> wrote:

> At 9:40 PM -0500 on 2/4/06, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
>>  Is there a URL explaining just how this works? Is this card like a
>> wireless phone, connecting to cell towers along the way? How do you
>> pay for this - by the minute? How much would an hour online cost
>> you?
>
> Yes, exactly ... the card goes in the PCMCIA slot on your PowerBook
> (15 and 17 inch only). And it connects through cell towers the same
> as a cell phone, because in effect it is a cell phone, but just for
> data. Cost from Verizon is $60/month for unlimited use if you also
> have a voice account, $80/month otherwise, plus the cost of the card
> (around $100 or so).
>
> Bob

I have the Kyocera KPC650 EVDO card from Verizon. The Card was a $100 bucks
and the service is $60/month unlimited use.

When you do the OS X install with the included CD, it installs a custom
modem script and creates a custom "location" which you can then modify to
include auto detected ethernet, airport or any of the other methods. Then
use the Modem Connect menu in your menu bar to connect. The Internet Connect
status window only shows connected at 144 kbs here in the DC area but I know
that is incorrect. You get no signal strength indicators or any other status
other than connected and bitrate in the Internet connect status window.

The included VZAccess Manager app gives you signal strength indicators and a
bunch of statistics and status data. Works pretty well and you can minimize
it to the dock to get it out of the way. Downloading a large file today, the
VZ Access manager showed 1.41 Mbs download throughput in it's status window.
I rate that fairly impressive for a wireless connection.

Hope this helps.
--
Jesse

A dog will quickly turn you into a fool, but who cares?

--
Jesse

"A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring
it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy, or perhaps both. Knowledge
will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own
governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." - James
Madison, from a letter to W.T. Barry, August 4, 1822