[Ti] screen protector

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Tue Feb 14 11:38:58 PST 2006

I'm in the market for a screen protector for my 12" G4 powerbook.
What do people recommend?

Specifically, I'm leaning toward an OWC cover that just covers my
keyboard, but I see several covers that cover the whole thing
(keyboard/plamrest/trackpad). Should I be considering those? They
seem less elegant and I'm pretty sure my marks just come from the
keyboard.

Is there a danger of damaging my screen by using a cover because the
extra thickness might apply pressure on the screen?

Background: my previous computer was a Pismo. I realized too late
that my keyboard was making marks on the screen, and was never fully
able to clean them off. I bought an OWC cover that covered just the
keys. That prevented further damage. I found it an elegant solution
and I got pretty used to using it. When I bought my PBG4 I didn't
think about this problem. I thought it was specific to the Pismo. But
once again I noticed the marks too late and was not able to clean
them off. Then over Christmas my hard drive crashed. I was under
AppleCare and i took it to a local shop for repair. I also pointed
out to the repairman a defect in the screen. He went ahead and
replaced the screen under warranty, even though I don't know if Apple
would have done this if I had sent the computer to them. So I have a
brand new screen with no marks and a second chance to preserve the
integrity of my powerbook. I asked the repair guy about screen
protectors. He told me it was a waste of money and handed me a sheet
of thin foam that comes in computer packing. I cut myself a piece to
cover my keyboard, but it's not elegant. The foam is ugly and doesn't
rest nicely on the keyboard.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Powerbook G4 12" 1.33 GHz