[Ti] Verify/Repair Permissions Question

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Sun Feb 19 20:27:17 PST 2006

On Feb 19, 2006, at 8:08 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 06/02/18 12:23, FWPHOTO at fwphoto at adelphia.net wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what others do when Verifying/Repairing
>> Permissions. When I
>> open Disk Utility it shows the actual hard drive at the top of the
>> lists &
>> then *my* drive (the one that I named & shows up on the desktop) a
>> level
>> below. Do I select the top drive  to V/R Perms, *my* drive, or
>> first do one
>> & next the other (for 2 passes)?
>

> I believe it shows the other one first because it cannot very well
> repair
> the drive that you have booted on.  Better to boot off another
> drive or your
> Mac OS DVD.

Disk Utility shows volumes as subitems of devices.  For example, mine
appears like this:

74.5 GB FUJITSU MHT2080AT
   GlennPBG4

The first line is the device (drive), the second line is the volume.

You select the volume to repair -- not the device.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver