[Ti] Maximum ram on G4 800 Ti?

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Feb 28 18:15:18 PST 2006

paulatx1 at aol.com said:

>I can remember in the past that the limitations assigned to some
>computer ram  was due to what was currently available in ram sizes.
>And I do know for sure  that I have more ram installed in my original
>clamshell laptop than  it was originally supposed to support.  (And I
>remember that my blue iMac did NOT recognize more than they said it
>would.)
>It would be tempting to get two  one gig ram chips for my Ti...but that
>would be $700.  At this time though, even an additional $350 is too
>much to shell out just for the heck of it.    (So...if someone else out
>there is running laptops with more ram than it is supposed to support,
>please let us know!)

Well, limitations of the largest RAM available at the time of release of
the machine and its maximum possible addressable RAM are possibly 2
different kinds of limitations. The latter being the only real measurement.

I haven't heard of anyone attempting to have more than 1GB RAM in a
Titanium though, so that may be its maximum addressable amount. Anyone
know for sure or know of other limitations affecting this amount?

I think the G5 have 8GB maximum, but in theory a 64bit system can address
hundreds of thousands.