[Ti] Great day for you Intel fans!

Loren luteslinger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:05:41 PST 2006

On 1/10/06, Chris Olson <chris.olson at astcomm.net> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Loren wrote:
>
> > Things that it won't run: Final Cut Studio 1.0, Final Cut Pro
> > 1-2-3-4-5, Aperture, or Logic Pro 7.1 DVD, Studio Pro 4, Motion 2,
> > or Soundtrack Pro, not even with the intel emulator (rosetta)
>
> Guess the DV pro will still be buying the PowerBook G4 for some time
> to come......

"...And, it bears repeating, if your Mac is powered by the Intel Core Duo,
that performance will be nothing less than astounding — up to 4X what is
possible on PowerPC-based machines."

Let's examine this claim. The legal department claims 4X faster, and when
you zero into the benchmarks, clearly there is ONE(1) application (Modo
beta) that renders 4X faster. Doom 3 came in a distant 2nd at 2.2x faster. A
practical application like Safari (1.9x faster).
The fumes don't get any fainter when we also uncover that Modo (beta) is
engineered with clean code, unique and designed specific for the intel
architecture. i.e.. the one application that doesn't need an emulator. Which
is all good, but the fact they are milking the 4X faster flag based on this
one single app is kinda tacky, IMO.